Lots of mothers ask “How to deal with morning sickness with a toddler around during pregnancy? And how do I entertain my toddler with morning sickness?”.
Pregnancy is one of the hardest processes a mother can go through. Some of you may think that the second pregnancy might somehow be easier than the first, unfortunately, at some level it is not. Especially when your first baby is already a toddler. For your information, toddlerhood starts from one year of age to 4 years, which is a tough period.
Experiencing pregnancy symptoms while raising a toddler can be tough. For instance, morning sickness. In this article, we will tell you how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler while pregnant, along with different tips and foods that will help you relieve your morning sickness.
What is Morning Sickness?
Morning sickness is nausea with or without vomiting that a pregnant woman experiences throughout her pregnancy. The mother experiences morning sickness in the first trimester mostly in the morning. Such a symptom can be irritating especially when you already have a child to care for. Today we will discuss the most frequently asked question during pregnancy, which is how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy.back to menu ↑
Causes of Morning Sickness:
At some point, you may think that knowing what causes morning sickness may help in preventing or avoiding it. Especially when you are wondering how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy. However, there is no specific reason for morning sickness. That being said, some factors contribute to morning sickness:
- If you’re pregnant with twins or triplets.
- Excessive fatigue.
- If you are emotionally stressed.
- Or frequently traveling.
- As well as hormonal change, pregnancy hormones such as hCG peak when morning sickness is the worst. While on the other hand, estrogen and progesterone, tend to relax body muscles making the digestive system muscles less efficient.
Nevertheless, morning sickness varies from one pregnancy to the other as well as from one woman to another.
back to menu ↑
When does Morning Sickness Start and End?
A pregnant woman usually starts feeling morning sickness around the sixth week of pregnancy. Since the normal period of gestation is 40 weeks, morning sickness usually starts around the 2nd month of gestation. Morning sickness varies from one woman to another in its intensity, varying from mild nausea or/and vomiting to some smells or food to persistent vomiting.
It should be noted that the period of morning sickness does not extend for so long. It peaks around 8-11 weeks, and by the end of your first trimester of pregnancy, it eventually fades. However, some pregnant women may persist to experience it in the 2nd and or 3rd trimester as well. Since you are wondering how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler, subsiding your nausea and vomiting is your top priority.back to menu ↑
How to deal with Morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy?
In this paragraph, we will be giving you tips on how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during your pregnancy, aside from the tips to control your morning sickness generally. Dealing with morning sickness with a toddler is a two-part process. You have to deal with your toddler and take care of him/her and also try to subside the morning sickness.
Dealing with your toddler is based on distracting your kid more often. Saying that distraction here is meant in a good way. You don’t want to raise your kid with the wrong habits because you have morning sickness! That would not make sense. Here are some tips to answer your question “How do I entertain my toddler with morning sickness?”:
- Keep them occupied with useful activities. Try using a learning activity table. Playing and learning at the same time is your perfect option. Here are some of the activity tables you can purchase and try:
- Vtech Magic Star Learning Table (Frustration Free Packaging): This learning table is all you need when your kid starts causing you trouble and you can not handle him/her. It has 6 fun activities in English and Spanish, to help your child learn and explore more. It is highly rated on Amazon with a high ranking of 4.8 out of 5 stars. People are surely happy with it. Check Its yellow color here.
Current Price $37.99 August 6, 2021 Highest Price $79.58 July 14, 2021 Lowest Price $37.99 June 11, 2021Since June 11, 2021
Last price changes
$37.99 July 29, 2021 $77.65 July 22, 2021 $79.58 July 14, 2021 $62.28 July 6, 2021 $58.00 June 29, 2021
- EIH 7 in 1 Multi Kids activity table Set, Building Block Table with 2 Chairs: This one here is a little different. It is a table with 2 chairs, which means your kid can share and play with anyone, an older sibling, a friend, or even a nephew. It is a multipurpose table with 7 functions. A double-sided table is suitable for playing and studying. Check it out here.
EIH 7-in-1 Multi Kids Activity Table Set, Building Block Table with 2 Chairs 255 PCS Large Building Blocks Water Table Outdoor Play Sand Table Arts Crafts Table for Kids 3+ Ages (Green+Grey), EIHWait For A Price Drop
Current Price $69.99 August 6, 2021 Highest Price $72.99 June 11, 2021 Lowest Price $69.99 June 29, 2021Since June 11, 2021
Last price changes
$69.99 June 29, 2021 $72.99 June 11, 2021
- Baby Einstein Discovering Music Activity Table: this one is specifically unique. Your kid gets to create their music in 3 different languages (English, Spanish and French). It is suitable for children from 6 to 36 months. Make sure to check it here.
- You can also ask for help, especially in the morning period. Your partner can do some of the morning work for your toddler before leaving for work.
- Or if budget permits, you can hire a maid or a babysitter. Even if it is for a couple of hours in the morning. That shall ease staff for you.
- If you do not feel comfortable with hiring a maid or a babysitter, try admitting your kid to a nursery. This idea is great. It is beneficial for both you and your kid. He/She gets to spend a great time with other children and you get to rest and do your housework comfortably.
- Allow your kid to watch television, especially when you are at your peak with your morning sickness. Of course, do not let them watch any cartoons or animations, ones that are useful and full of morals. You do not want to harm or spoil your kid by any means.
- If your toddler has an elder sibling, they can try some of the indoor activities together. If you have a yard or a garden outside, they can also use that space to enjoy themselves and play with toys while you rest.
- Buy and store healthy food. Make sure to buy and store easily preparable healthy food. Cereals for instance. That will relieve the morning load off of you.
- Make sure to nap when your kid naps. Now some of you may disagree with me on this one, but trust me, use the nap time wisely and rest. That will allow you to function more effectively throughout the day.
Mentioning the previous activities and tips, you might as well stop wondering how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy. These tips should be more than enough to help you with your kid throughout your pregnancy.back to menu ↑
How to avoid morning sickness during pregnancy?
A lot of you may wonder if avoiding morning sickness is an option, especially when you are asking how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler, which is eventually hard. Unfortunately, morning sickness is hard to be prevented or avoided. Nearly all women experience morning sickness with different levels, ranging from mild to severe degrees. That being said, there is some food that you can eat that may help relieve morning sickness.back to menu ↑
What foods are good for morning sickness?
Now since you stopped wondering how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler, this paragraph is for your diet. As you all know, heavy or fatty food tends to upset the stomach quite often. While on the other hand, light and healthy food are lighter to handle and less likely to trigger your morning sickness. Also, your stomach tends to be more upset when it is full or empty. Thus, these two conditions should be avoided. Rather than eating 3 full dense meals per day, eat smaller amounts and more meals. That shall help with your nausea and help you get you peacefully throughout your day. Here are the best 14 foods that fight nausea during pregnancy:back to menu ↑
Ginger is one of the best natural herbs that you can use when you are nauseous. Of course, eating ginger is hard, so you can try adding it to your drink, for example, tea, or boil it with milk and drink it.back to menu ↑
The refreshing smell and taste of lemon are useful as well when you are nauseous. You can either sniff it, squeeze it on your drink or food or even lick it.back to menu ↑
Such as ice cream, yogurt, or lollipops. Cold foods don’t have a strong smell like hot ones. Thus, they don’t trigger your gag reflex and initiate vomiting. Stay away from any aroma that makes you feel like throwing up.back to menu ↑
Without a doubt, vitamin b6 is essential in our diet regardless of pregnancy. It helps promote brain health, improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression. Also, it has proven effective to reduce nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Vitamin B6 is found in foods like poultry, fish peanuts, soya beans, bananas, and milk.back to menu ↑
Bananas happen to be the best fruit for morning sickness, along with citrus fruit such as lemons as mentioned before. They also provide you with potassium and nutrients to help nourish your pregnant body.back to menu ↑
Toast and Dry Food:
Such as rice and potatoes, these heavy carbs are less likely to cause morning sickness making them perfect foods to start your day with.back to menu ↑
Peppermint has a refreshing smell and taste. It has shown that it may help relieve morning sickness symptoms.back to menu ↑
Herbal Teas are the best way to keep your body hydrated besides water. Since you are vomiting, you are at risk of dehydration. Herbal teas along with water will be more than enough to rehydrate your body. For instance, red raspberry tea, lemon tea, peppermint tea, and many more. Pick your favorite flavor and give it a go.back to menu ↑
It has been known since long ago that broth is one of the lightest foods that people eat. We all know that broths are usually prepared for sick people. Since it is suitable for sick people, no wonder a pregnant woman can drink it safely. Either chicken, meat, or vegetable broth, all provide your body with sufficient electrolytes. Thus, preventing dehydration.back to menu ↑
Watermelon makes a good choice for pregnant women suffering from morning sickness. Its high water content makes it suitable for rehydration of the body post vomiting.back to menu ↑
It was proven that a glass of almond milk in the morning may help settle an upset stomach. Almond milk may be expensive but worth it.back to menu ↑
Some of you may think that protein-rich meals may be heavy on the stomach, however, it has been shown that it reduces morning sickness. Since it is somehow heavy, it settles quite well in the stomach. Protein-rich meals as red meat provide your body with sufficient nutrients as well such as vitamin b6 as mentioned above.back to menu ↑
Applesauce is effective against nausea and vomiting. Also, applesauce contains carbs and is rich in dietary fiber Pectin, which is great if you suffer from diarrhea as well. It is now considered a restrictive diet, yet some people still find it helpful.back to menu ↑
Crackers and Biscuits:
Crackers, biscuits, and other salty food are quite effective in settling morning sickness. They are gynecologist recommended food. Not to mention their light good smell, thus not triggering your gag reflex leading to vomiting.
These foods have proven efficient enough in helping relieve nausea and vomiting. Thus, helping you on how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy. That shall help you take care of your kid quite well.back to menu ↑
How To Stop Morning Sickness In Early Pregnancy?
Since morning sickness is not a preventable symptom, you can somehow control it or relieve its severity. That is to help you on how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy. Here are some tips to help subside your morning sickness:
- Stay away from foods or stuff with offensive smells or anything that triggers your nausea. That’s why it is best if you do not cook when you feel nauseous.
- Eat slowly, getting food in your stomach at a slow steady rate helps in helping your stomach accept the incoming food and not reject it. Thus, preventing vomiting.
- Instead of eating 3 dense full meals, eat smaller amounts with more meals per day. The stomach tends to be irritated when it is fully empty or full. This is an important step regarding how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy.
- Avoid any type of stress. Try relaxing more often and do not exhaust or overstrain yourself.
- An important point is carrying your toddler while pregnant. It is okay to carry your kid when you are pregnant, especially in your early months. It does not increase your nausea nor your vomiting. Yet it is advised to stop carrying them late in your 3rd trimester. You don’t want to cause yourself any back pain. Of course, the weight of your kid is a determining factor.
- If you can not tolerate your morning sickness, contact your doctor for medications if possible. Since a pregnant woman can not take any medications, it should be FDA approved first.
When to see a doctor?
In some cases, morning sickness can be severe, leading to a condition known as Hyperemesis Gravidarum. It is characterized by severe nausea, vomiting, and weight loss, or even dehydration. Hyperemesis Gravidarum can be fatal for both you and your baby. If morning sickness did not subside even a little by the second trimester of your pregnancy or you started to lose weight with frequent vomiting, contacting your gynecologist is your only and best option. He/She will be able to help you with your symptoms and help manage your diet as well.
back to menu ↑
To sum it all up, morning sickness is very common among pregnant women, especially in their 1st trimester of pregnancy. It is nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. What makes morning sickness even more tiring is having a kid to care for as well. In this article, we mentioned the causes of morning sickness and when nausea stops during pregnancy. In addition to that, different ways on how to deal with morning sickness with a toddler during pregnancy. Including some activities and tips on how to keep your kid occupied yet having a beneficial time.
Also, some of the best foods that proved effective in morning sickness were mentioned. Make sure to monitor yourself thoroughly and weigh yourself more often. Of course, you will be following up with your gynecologist throughout your pregnancy, nevertheless, monitor your body symptoms and changes. Just in case to prevent your morning sickness from progressing to hyperemesis gravidarum.back to menu ↑
- Surviving a Second Pregnancy With a Toddler
- Your guide to coping with morning sickness
- 5 Tips for Surviving Morning Sickness With a Toddler
- Morning Sickness: Causes, Treatments, and Prevention
- Morning sickness: When does it start and what can I do about it?
- Morning sickness: 10 tips to relieve it
- Morning sickness
- The 15 Best Foods for Morning Sickness and Nausea
- Morning Sickness: When It Starts, Symptoms, Remedies
- Foods that help manage morning sickness | Mufreesboro Medical Clinic
- Morning Sickness: When It Starts, Symptoms, Remedies
- 15 Dietitians Tell You How to Survive Morning Sickness