Being a mother is hard enough without having to deal with diaper rash. You are forced to believe that you are a terrible parent because your child’s bottom is red. Especially in warm and wet environments such as the diaper area, diaper rashes may form and spread quickly. It suggests that you are not changing your child’s diapers regularly or that you are not using the proper cream to protect his skin from irritation.
It is also possible to have diaper rashes from certain meals or items, use excessively tight diapers, and have sensitive skin. It is usually caused by moisture from a closed, dirty diaper, particularly common when the infant has diarrhea. Specifically, we’ll talk about cornstarch for diaper rash treatment, which is a common home remedy.
Causes of Baby Rash That Are Common
Bacterial infections may result in various skin issues, including diaper dermatitis, which is caused by the bacterium. The development of bacterial infections as a result of diaper dermatitis is one of the potential complications. When you touch the red, swollen region, it may feel warm to the touch. This is a sign of cellulitis.
When a parent scrutinizes their child’s skin, they may see fissures (cracks) in it. Impetigo is a skin condition that affects the mouth, nose, hands, and feet. A virus causes it. Extremely infectious, the rapid rash swelling and itchy scabbing are communicable. These illnesses should be treated with antibiotics, which may be applied topically or administered via a dropper.
Skin issues in infants may develop quickly when they are exposed to allergens and irritants such as pollen, dust, breast milk, dairy products, peanuts, or chemicals found in diapers, among other things.
Your kid may potentially develop an allergic reaction as a result of chemicals found in household products such as detergents, soaps, shampoos, and diapers. Skin allergies can have the appearance of diaper rash, with red patches of skin appearing on the skin.
What is Cornstarch?
Cornstarch is a white powder that has a smooth and soft texture as you rub it in. Even though it is insoluble in alcohol, ether, cold water, and other organic solvents, it is a very effective absorbent for body fluids and oils. It is known for keeping skin dry and for being a one-of-a-kind remedy to foul smells.
As an alternative to talcum powder, it is milder and more effective. Providing it is correctly stored in dry storage, it will endure an infinite length of time. Even though cornstarch is derived from corn, it does not have the same nutritional value as corn. Nowadays, cornstarch remedy for diaper rash is widely known to every mom.
What Is the Purpose of Using Cornstarch?
The combination of moisture and germs causes diaper rash and friction and is one of the most frequent rashes among infants. In the past, physicians recommended using baby powder, which proved to be an effective treatment for infant rash. However, talcum powder, included in baby powder, may enter the infant’s lungs and create a respiratory issue.
In light of this talcum powder’s adverse effect, several physicians advise against the use of baby powder. Besides cornstarch, they offer several other homemade treatments as well. Cornstarch is more effective and faster acting than other home treatments, and most physicians suggest it for diaper rashes as a first line of defense.
As a result of its high moisture absorption capacity, organic cornstarch is helpful against diaper rash. Cornstarch baby powder is a healthy alternative to talcum powder for keeping your baby’s skin dry, clean, and comfortable while you’re out and about.
Although some parents think that using cornstarch powder would exacerbate a newborn rash accompanied by a subsequent yeast infection, there is no clear evidence to support this belief in the scientific community. Cornstarch may be used to comfort a baby’s bottom without risking their health. The look of a yeast infection is usually brilliant red with well-defined boundaries.
Your infant may experience itching and discomfort as a result of this. A yeast infection should be treated with a medicated anti-fungal diaper rash cream that contains the anti-fungal medication. Before administering any medicinal cream to your infant, you must see your physician regardless of whether it is purchased over-the-counter.
Is Cornstarch Beneficial in the Treatment of Rashes?
It has one characteristic with talc in that it substantially decreases the number of diaper rashes that infant will suffer and the severity of any crashes that do occur in the diaper.
The following are the five reasons why cornstarch for baby diaper rash is so effective for rashes; let’s go through them one by one:
Creates a significant obstacle:
Because cornstarch is not soluble in water (or in an acid such as vinegar, which is more acidic than urine), it forms a protective barrier between the skin and the diaper when a baby wets, preventing the sensitive skin from being exposed to pee.
pH is equal to zero:
According to the site, cornstarch has a ph of zero, making it very mild on the skin.
Friction is reduced when:
Cornstarch has a smooth, delicate texture that, in the same way as talc baby powder, naturally minimizes friction between the skin and the surface of the diaper.
Even though it is not water-soluble, cornstarch will “suspend” itself when it comes into contact with water, and when applied to a baby’s skin, it will dry the skin, which is excellent for diaper rash, and form a smooth barrier around it.
Rubbing some into your skin (after taking a shower or cleaning your hands) is the most effective method to feel and comprehend the substance’s odd and opposing effects. Nowadays, cornstarch remedy for diaper rash is widely known to every mom.
While maize flour is still subjected to some processing, I believe it is essential to point out that it is a well-known pantry bare on par with coconut oil and vinegar. According to most mothers, there is something to be said about utilizing pantry-safe products rather than professionally blended and packaged lotions and balms, regardless of how much green print is used on the box.
When these qualities are combined, cornstarch proves to be a gentle and natural method to create a barrier to a baby’s skin, keeping moisture at bay and friction at a minimum, precisely as many commercial barrier lotions claim to be. As a result, it is very effective in calming moisture-related diaper rashes and preventing the development of new ones.
Cornstarch Can Help With Baby Rash
Rashes on babies’ skin are a reasonably frequent skin problem. Even though various reasons cause rashes, the consequences are distressing for both parents and children. Moisture is the most common cause of mould growth, followed by yeast and friction.
Cornstarch paste for diaper rash is effective in treating all types of infant rashes. Chafing, the most frequent form of infant rash manifests itself as red, itchy pimples on the skin produced by contact. Another kind of infant rash is caused by yeast infections, which are also known as candidal dermatitis. The thighs and abdomen are typically the first places where this rash develops. The cradle cap is characterized by red areas on the scalp with yellow-coloured flakes. Eczema and intertrigo are rashes on the baby’s skin that leak fluids when touched. Bacterial infections cause Intertrigo.
When treating these rashes, a light baby powder is often utilized. Talcum powder was formerly a popular option for many people. On the other hand, doctors advise against the usage of talcum powder since it may create respiratory issues. Baby powder containing cornstarch, on the other hand, is a completely safe alternative. It effectively cures rashes by decreasing friction and moisture where clothes and diapers brush against one another and cause irritation.
Instructions for Using Cornstarch to Treat Diaper Rashes:
There are a variety of ways for utilizing cornstarch to treat diaper rashes, some of which are as follows:
Apply directly to the skin
Pure cornstarch for diaper rash may be applied directly to the skin of your infant in the same way that talcum powder is. A clean cloth should be soaked in a cup of warm water before use. Clean the bottom of your baby’s feet using a clean cloth that has been soaked in a cup of warm water. After washing the infant butt, let the skin dry before applying 3 tablespoons cornstarch slowly to the skin.
Gently massage the diaper lines to ensure that they are equally distributed. Allow for a five-minute waiting period before changing your baby’s diaper.
Mix with petroleum jelly
An alternative method of treating diaper rash with cornstarch is to combine it with petroleum jelly. Combine everything well to form a thick cream. 2 tablespoons of cornstarch should be gathered and mixed with one tablespoon petroleum jelly. Combine them in a mesh sieve and blend until they form a thick cream. Apply the cream to the afflicted region and massage it in well. Allow for 10-15 minutes, and then scrub the baby’s buttocks with a warm damp towel to remove any remaining cream from the skin.
Allow the baby’s buttocks to dry entirely before changing her diaper. This method should be repeated twice a day. After 10 to 15 minutes, wash away the cream with a warm damp towel to remove any remaining residue. You may use this combination twice a day if you like.
Mix with coconut oil
Combining cornstarch with coconut oil and vitamin E is another method to make use of the ingredient. First, mix a half cup of cornstarch, a half cup of coconut oil, and a vitamin E capsule to form a paste. Then apply the paste to the afflicted region and let it on for 10 minutes to work its magic.
Finally, wash the skin with warm water and allow it to dry completely before putting your baby in a fresh diaper to prevent infection. Apply the paste to the afflicted region and let it sit for 10 minutes. Allow the baby’s buttocks to dry entirely before changing her diaper.
Main Cornstarch Products
1. Dukal 14 oz Organic Corn Starch Baby Powder
This powder has a light, fresh fragrance that keeps your baby feeling fresh in diaper changes while relaxing the skin on its bottom. Because of its calming properties, corn starch is an excellent choice for protecting your baby’s delicate skin. A moisturizing and deodorizing component in our baby powder, cornstarch absorbs moisture and eliminates odors.
Not only does it remove moisture from the skin, but it also relieves irritation and allergies such as rashes, sunburns, and insect bites. Vitamin E and aloe vera are used to produce Baby Powder, which is made from organic plant starches and oils. It prevents chapping caused by excessive moisture and relieves red irritation.
This natural infant care product offers soft comfort and soothing relief for diaper rashes, as well as aiding in the absorption of moisture after bathing.
This hypoallergenic dusting powder has been scientifically proved to be safe, effective, and non-irritating on a baby’s sensitive skin, making it an excellent choice for nursing mothers. The adorable baby design on this powder makes it the ideal present for new mothers!
- Keep skin healthy
- Talc-free baby powder
- Made for diaper rash
- Powder is solid
2. Caldesene Baby, Cornstarch Powder with Zinc Oxide
Like the other safe and talc-free baby powders on the market, this baby powder is made with cornstarch rather than talc, but it also contains zinc oxide for further protection. Zinc is a calming component that you may find in many diaper rash treatments and lotions.
Caldesene also makes use of aloe vera and chamomile, in addition to zinc. Another product this company offers is a medicinal powder that is excellent for diaper rash, heat rash, and irritated skin. If you are searching for a good deal, this may be a fantastic alternative since it comes in a pack of six 5oz bottles.
With no messy lotions or gels to use, simply a soft powder to apply frequently to your baby’s skin, which will keep it dry and free of infection even if it becomes afflicted with a disease such as a scab or fever.
Don’t put on another diaper or allow zinc oxide to go into your system. Caldesene Powder creates a barrier between the skin and the surrounding air or clothes, which helps to calm the affected regions and prevent additional irritation from occurring.
- It contains zinc oxide to keep your skin dry
- Mixed with cornflour that provides more excellent absorption
- Infused with aloe and chamomile to smooth and calm the skin
- It is available in very little quantity.
3. Johnson’s Baby Naturally Derived Cornstarch Baby Powder
Johnson & Johnson’s cornstarch powder contains aloe vera and Vitamin E. The contents are listed on the label of the bottle, which is free of talc. This product has been dermatologist-tested and is certified safe for use on a baby’s skin by the manufacturer. You may be confident in its integrity while applying it to your baby’s most sensitive skin because of its hypoallergenic properties.
Parabens, phthalates, and dyes are also absent from this baby powder formulation. A 15oz container has enough products for one usage, which may include dry shampoo in a hurry or using it to remove sand from your hair at the beach. It is also appropriate for adult use.
This powder has a delicate, silky texture that makes it simple to use and was created to be gentle, never harsh. Johnson’s formulations have been specially formulated for babies’ sensitive skin for more than 125 years now. To apply, shake baby powder straight into your palm, away from your face, then spreading it into your skin with your fingers.
- Ingredients mentioned
- Tested by dermatologist
- There are none with the actual product, but use precautions when purchasing online. Examine the ingredients to ensure that the sellers are delivering the correct product for you.
- What is the composition of baby powder?
Talc, clay, cornstarch, and arrowroot powder are among the hygienic minerals used to produce baby powder formulations. The usage of baby powder, on the other hand, has been the subject of heated debate for quite some time.
- Is it okay to use baby powder on newborns?
Carcinogenic risks from baby powder aren’t the only thing to be concerned about. The danger is also connected with the possibility of your infant inhaling the powder via their mouths.
- Is cornstarch a more reliable option than baby powder?
Cornstarch is not a mineral, and as a result, there is no danger of asbestos contamination from mining when it is produced. Unlike talcum powder, it does not offer the same carcinogenic hazards as the powder and is thus a safer option.
Cornstarch is a natural, safe, and effective alternative to baby powder that helps prevent and heal diaper rashes caused by moisture. Diaper rashes are a common complaint when cloth diapering because they do not have the chemical magic that disposable diapers do to keep them from getting soiled.
Despite allegations that cornstarch is a cause of yeast rashes, I could not locate any credible sources that claimed this to be the case, even though there is scientific proof to the contrary.
When applying cornstarch, be sure to do it by hand rather than using a container, which will cause it to become airborne (like a baby powder bottle). It is best used daily during diaper changes, either on its own or with diaper safe diaper creams.
Dukal Baby Powder. 14 oz Organic Corn Starch Baby Powder. Talcum Free Baby Powder. Delicate Baby Powder. Prevents Diaper Rash and Absorbs Moisture. Aloe and Vitamin E. Hypoallergenic.
- BABY POWDER FOR DELICATE SKIN 14 oz: Gentle, nutrient rich dusting powder that's actually good for your skin! Premium USP Grade Pure Cornstarch powder contains soothing Aloe and Vitamin E. Starch Baby Powder soothes baby's skin and makes the baby feel comfortable. Packaged: 1 bottle per case.
- START OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT: Avoid harsh chemicals and toxic ingredients. Talc free powder that’s also fragrance free, non-toxic, 100% natural and USDA Certified Organic. Its active natural ingredients reduce sweating and helps baby feel dry and silky soft.
- MADE FOR SENSITIVE, IRRITATED SKIN: Skin powder perfect for dry, cracked, chapped or damaged skin with gentle, nourishing ingredients. Use in replace of talcum powders in shoes, diaper rash, etc. Works great with cloth diapers. With no talc the dusting powder is mild & gentle on the skin of your baby.
- KEEP SKIN HEALTHY: Help keep skin soft, supply and protect from excess moisture. Talc free powder for women, men, kids and of course infants. Corn Starch keeps skin dry and protected from chapping helps inhibit diaper rash using Vitamin E and aloe sooth redness and irritation.
- APPLICATION: It absorbs moisture and reduces skin-on-skin friction, which may help prevent rashes. These powders are often used to prevent or treat diaper rash around infants’ bottoms and genital areas. Women also commonly use these powders on their genitals to reduce feminine odors. Adult men and women may also use baby powder on other parts of their body to soothe rashes or ease friction on the skin.
Caldesene Baby, Cornstarch Powder with Zinc Oxide, Treat and Prevent Diaper Rash, Talc Free, 5oz, Pack of 6
- Caldesene Powder with Zinc Oxide helps treat and prevent diaper rash
- Includes skin-soothing aloe and chamomile to soften and soothe baby’s delicate skin
- Helps protect against irritated and chafed skin
- Forms a protective barrier to repel moisture and help keep skin dry
- Gently apply powder to irritated area to seal out wetness to protect against chafed skin
Johnson's Baby Naturally Derived Cornstarch Baby Powder with Aloe and Vitamin E for Delicate Skin, Hypoallergenic and Free of Parabens, Phthalates, and Dyes for Gentle Baby Skin Care, 4 oz
- 4-ounces of Johnson's baby powder with naturally derived cornstarch, aloe, and vitamin E provides a gentle way to soothe your baby's skin and leave it feeling soft and smooth
- Hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, and specially designed for baby's delicate skin, this naturally derived cornstarch baby powder is clinically proven mild and 100% gentle
- This cornstarch powder quickly absorbs moisture, and is free of parabens, phthalates, dyes, and sulfates
- This naturally derived cornstarch baby powder is great for kids and adults too. Try it at the beach to help remove sand, or as a dry shampoo alternative for adults.
- For over 125 years, Johnson's formulas have been specifically designed for baby's delicate skin. To use, shake baby powder directly into your hand, away from the face, before smoothing onto the skin
Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder Aloe and Vitamin E (22 oz - 2 Pack)
- Aloe Vera and Vitamin E
- Dermatologist and pediatrician tested
- Keeps skin soft, smooth and dry
- This product does not contain talc
Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder with Lavender and Chamomile (2 Pack)
$19.18 in stock
|Size||22 Ounce (Pack of 2)|
Johnson's Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder 15 Oz + Johnson's Pure Corstarch Travel Size 1.5 Oz, 2 pk
$19.65 in stock
- Gently absorbs excess moisture Clinically proven to be gentle and mild Made with the highest quality cornstarch especially mild Pure cornstarch Made with pure cornstarch
- With soothing Aloe & Vitamin E Gently absorbs moisture to keep skin dry and soft. Pure cornstarch! Ingredients Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Tricalcium Phosphate, Fragrance (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Tocopheryl (Vitamin E))
- Packaging may vary for 1.5 OZ unit.
Johnson’s Lavender Baby Powder with Naturally Derived Cornstarch, Hypoallergenic and Paraben Free, 15 oz, Packaging May Vary (Pack of 6)
$37.02 in stock
- 15-ounces of Johnson's Lavender Baby Powder with naturally derived cornstarch provides a gentle way to absorb moisture while soothing and relaxing your baby's skin and leaving it feeling soft, smooth, and comfortable
- Hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested, and specially designed for baby's delicate skin, this lightweight lavender baby powder with naturally derived cornstarch is clinically proven mild and 100% gentle
- This lavender-scented, naturally derived cornstarch powder quickly absorbs moisture to keep skin dry, and is free of, parabens, phthalates, dyes, sulfates, and harsh fragrances
- This naturally derived cornstarch baby powder is great for kids and adults too.
- For over 125 years, Johnson's formulas have been specifically designed for baby's delicate and unique skin to use, shake the baby powder directly into your hand, away from the face, before smoothing onto the skin
Johnson's Baby Powder, Pure Cornstarch with Aloe & Vitamin E, 15-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)
- Case of six 15-ounce bottles of cornstarch baby powder (total of 90 ounces)
- Made with pure cornstarch
- Absorbs excess wetness from the skin
- Clinically proven to be mild on a baby's skin
- Has a soft texture to help your skin feel smooth and fresh
Perfect Purity Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder with Aloe and Vitamin E, 9 oz.
$9.94 in stock
- Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder
- With Aloe and Vitamin E
Johnson & Johnson Pure Cornstarch Baby Powder With Soothing Aloe Vera & Vitamin-E ,15 ounce (6 Pack)
- Brought to you by Johnson
Johnson's Lavender Baby Powder with Naturally Derived Cornstarch, Hypoallergenic and Paraben Free, 15 oz
$7.99 in stock
- 15-ounces of lavender baby powder with naturally derived cornstarch provides a gentle way to soothe your baby's skin and leave it feeling soft, smooth, and comfortable
- Hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested, and specially designed for baby's delicate skin, this baby powder with naturally derived cornstarch is clinically proven mild and 100% gentle
- This lavender naturally derived cornstarch powder quickly absorbs moisture, and is free of parabens, phthalates, dyes, and sulfates
- This naturally derived cornstarch baby powder is great for kids and adults too. Try it at the beach to help remove sand, or as a dry shampoo alternative for adults.
- For over 125 years, Johnson's formulas have been specifically designed for baby's delicate skin to use, shake baby powder directly into your hand, away from the face, before smoothing onto the skin
Baby Love Baby Powder with Cornstarch - Talc-Free, Prevents Rashes and Soothes Skin with Baby Soft Scent (10 Ounces, 12 Bottles, Bulk Value Pack)
$24.08 in stock
|Is Adult Product|
|Size||10 Ounce (Pack of 12)|
Gold Bond CORNST Plus Baby PWD Size: 4 OZ
- CONTAINS: One (1) 4-oz. bottle of Gold Bond Medicated Baby Powder, Cornstarch Plus
- TREATS DIAPER RASH: Gold Bond Baby Powder helps treat and prevent diaper rash
- PROTECTS CHAFED SKIN: This baby powder formula helps temporarily protect chafed skin and relieves minor skin irritations due to diaper rash
- KEEPS BABY DRY: Gold Bond Medicated Baby Powder protects against wetness, so baby is dry and happy
- FOR MOM & DAD TOO: This body powder is also suitable for adults to temporarily protect chafed skin and help relieve minor skin irritation