Are you concerned that your baby might be suffering from gluten intolerance or celiac disease? You don’t want your baby to feel discomfort by experiencing the symptoms of gluten intolerance or celiac disease? Do you think your baby needs gluten free baby formula?
Before you decide to give your baby a gluten free baby formula, you need to make sure first if your baby is allergic to gluten.
Gluten allergy or gluten intolerance is the case in which the baby is hypersensitive to consuming food containing gluten. This leads to difficulty in digesting food. As a result, that makes the baby suffer from symptoms like fussiness, hard like a rock belly, and other discomforting symptoms.
This issue can be solved if the mother is breastfeeding her baby. She can control what she eats, and follow a gluten-free diet. So that way the mother will prevent the gluten from passing from her to the baby via breast milk. In addition, some studies found that the antibodies in breast milk can help improve celiac disease or gluten intolerance. That’s why it’s always recommended to breastfeed your baby at least for the first four or six months.
But what if your baby is formula-fed! Is there gluten in baby formula?! The fact is most baby formulas are gluten free.
Gluten free baby formula
If you know for sure that your baby is gluten intolerant, there will be some routine changes in your babies’ lifestyle. Like you have to pick carefully what you are putting in your little ones’ tummies. For instance, all gluten products (like wheat) should not be fed to the baby until he/she is one year old. Also, you have to switch the baby formula into gluten free baby formula. As we mentioned, most baby formulas are gluten free. So parents will be able to choose between a variety of formulas that are gluten-free and pick the one that is the most suitable for their babies.
Before we discuss the varieties and the available types of gluten-free baby formula, first you have to check your baby’s condition. Consult your pediatrician and explain all the symptoms your baby is having. This is to make sure whether it’s necessary to cut gluten from your baby’s diet and start giving him gluten free baby formula or not. Because putting your baby on a completely gluten-free diet is not easy. The doctor will help you make the right decision and tell you what is best for your baby. Also, the doctor may recommend some gluten free baby formula, that will relieve your baby’s symptoms and suits him best.
How do you know if your baby is allergic to gluten?
Gluten is a type of protein that can be found in cereal grains, especially wheat. It is what gives the elastic texture of the dough. Gluten can be found in many types of foods, like commonly baked foods or pasta that contain wheat flour (Burley or rye). Also, it can be found in other kinds of food like crackers, cereal, pickles, hotdogs, ice cream, and some sauces.
If you wonder if your baby has a gluten allergy or intolerance, he/she will probably feel discomfort with the baby formula. Also, he will show signs of difficulty in digesting food. And generally, your baby will experience these symptoms:
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Loose stool with a strong odor.
- Excessive gas.
- Bloated belly (hard rock billy).
- Spit up frequently or vomit after eating.
- Not gaining weight or thriving compared to his peers of the same age, (underweight).
If your baby experiences these symptoms you should seek your doctor to discuss your baby’s symptoms with him. So the doctor can advise you what is best for your baby according to how severe your baby’s condition is. As there is a difference between gluten allergies, gluten intolerance, and celiac disease. Which is what the doctor will determine based on the symptoms shown and some tests. As there is a slight difference in the symptoms between each of them.
Is an immediate onset allergic reaction, caused by the baby’s immune system reacting against gluten protein. And it happens every time with every exposure when your baby consumes food that contains gluten. If your baby has a gluten allergy, he will probably experience symptoms like:
- Immediate face/mouth swelling.
- Itchy hives.
- Difficulty breathing.
Your baby will have these immediate symptoms whenever he eats food or baby formula containing gluten.
Note: Common food allergies are: wheat, cow’s milk, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish shellfish.
Your baby will probably suffer from gluten intolerance when he has mild reactions or feels uncomfortable due to digestion issues when consuming food or baby formula containing gluten. And your baby will experience the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain.
- Bloated belly,(hard belly).
- Excessive gas.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Loose stool with a strong order.
Note: There is no accurate test to know for sure if your baby has gluten intolerance. But your doctor may recommend cutting back foods that contain gluten for at least two weeks to see if the symptoms are resolved.
It’s a chronic autoimmune effect on 1% of the population. This is different from the allergy, it’s a more serious reaction to food containing gluten. As the body attacks itself especially the small intestines. For more explanation, celiac disease is a disease in which the small intestines are hypersensitive to gluten, leading to difficulty in digesting food. As a result, that makes the baby suffer from symptoms like fussiness, hard belly, and other discomforting symptoms like:
- Abdominal pain or cramping.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Poor weight gain.
- Joint pain and rashes.
- Celiac disease can be determined by a blood test in which the blood will show a high number of antibodies toward certain allergens.
- The symptoms can be relieved by the complete removal of gluten from the diet.
What is the best gluten free baby formula?
If your baby has been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, no need to be worried as the most commonly used infant formulas are gluten-free. And your baby will be completely safe and comfortable.
Choosing gluten free baby formula is the right decision as babies with gluten intolerance can’t handle milk protein.
Therefore, some infant formulas use soybean as a protein source instead of cow’s milk for infants that are allergic to other proteins. And other infant formulas that contain cow’s milk protein have them broken down into small segments.
However, if your baby wasn’t diagnosed as gluten intolerant or doesn’t have any medical condition, no need to put your baby on a gluten-free diet as long as the gluten is not harmful to him.
When to start using gluten free baby formula
In the first stages of your baby’s life, they will be provided with all the nutrients they need for healthy development. Whether you were breastfeeding or using formula milk. In addition, in the first six months of your baby’s age, there is no need to be worried about gluten allergy or intolerance as most infant baby formulas are gluten-free.
If your baby has a high risk of having gluten allergy or intolerance, (if one of the close family members has gluten intolerance or allergy), you should start noticing your baby around the six months when you start giving him solid foods containing gluten besides the formula. If you notice some symptoms like your baby is not feeling comfortable or having issues in his digestive system like abdominal pain, excess gas, bloating, or loose stool with a strong odor, you have to check your pediatrician to help you what is the suitable lifestyle or diet that your baby will follow from now and then. Also, the doctor may advise you to start giving your baby a gluten free baby formula or formula with soy-based or broken-down protein instead of cow’s milk.
So what is the best gluten free baby formula! What are your options? How can you choose the best for your baby? There are plenty of gluten free baby formulas that you can choose between them.
Is Enfamil formula gluten free?
The fact is, all Enfamil formulas are gluten-free. But which one will suit your baby and make him feel comfortable and relieve his gluten intolerance symptoms?! There is something you have to know that will guide you to choose the best formula for your baby on your own.
It’s important to learn that any formula brand has 4 main types of formula according to the baby’s condition.
Regardless of what is the name of the brand, all of them contain the required nutrition that your baby needs for healthy development and growth. But they have slight differences to choose between them according to your baby’s condition (To suit babies with special conditions like gluten intolerance), the main four types are:
- Regular: Cow’s milk-based contains proteins (called Enfamil infant in Enfamil brand).
- Gentle: Cow’s milk-based contains broken protein (called Enfamil Gentlease in Enfamil brand)
- Spit up: Cow’s milk-based contains rice cereal used to prevent spit up (called Enfamil AR in Enfamil brand).
- Soy-based: Soy milk-based (called Prosobee in Enfamil brand).
Doctors recommend starting with the gentle type, which is (Enfamil gentlease in Enfamil brand). If your baby is still having problems in his digestive system or not feeling comfortable showing symptoms like vomiting, abdominal pain, or excessive gas, it’s advised to switch to soy formula.
Note: Don’t waste time changing from one formula to another. If your baby doesn’t feel comfortable with his baby formula, make only one change. If he still has digestion issues, go see your pediatrician for advice on what is best for your baby.
⭕ picture of Enfamil Nutramigen baby formula
Is Enfamil Nutramigen gluten free? Is baby formula gluten free?
Has your baby been diagnosed as gluten intolerant? And you wonder if Enfamil Nutramigen suits him as a gluten free baby formula or not! As mentioned, all Enfamil formulas are gluten-free.
Enfamil Nutramigen is designed for babies that have cow’s milk allergy and soy protein allergy. They should use the Elemental formula that contains hydrolyzed protein formula, (such as Enfamil Nutamigen in Enfamil brand). Which will also suit babies with gluten allergy or intolerance.
- This kind of formula is more expensive than the standard baby formula.
- If your baby still has digestion issues you can use a hypoallergenic formula that’s made up of 100% free amino acid, (after consulting a pediatrician).
There are also other choices for babies suffering from gluten allergy and other types of severe allergies like (cow’s milk and soy), which is PurAmino (Nutramigen AA Lipil). It’s also an amino acid-based formula that can help babies with their digestion issues. And it’s also much more expensive and hard to find.
Is Kirkland baby formula gluten free?
Are you thinking of considering using Kirkland as a gluten free baby formula for your baby who is diagnosed with gluten intolerance?
Kirkland baby formula is a milk-based formula containing the required nutrition that your baby needs in his first stage of development. As it mimics the nutrients which are found in breast milk like (monoglycerides). Kirkland doesn’t contain gluten, so it can be considered a gluten free baby formula. It also doesn’t contain artificial growth hormones or genetically engineered ingredients. But it contains DHA to help your baby’s immune system and help in developing eyes.
However, the Kirkland formula is foamier than the other brands when mixing, As a result, some babies might get gassy or it might cause constipation. So it’s not recommended for babies with digestion problems.
Note: Kirkland brand is mostly like Similac formula, it has the same nutrition. Also, it’s packed in the same factory that produces the Similac formula. But it is less expensive than the Similac formula.
Is Aptamil baby formula gluten free?
Aptamil formula is considered a gluten free baby formula that can help your gluten-intolerant baby with his discomforting symptoms, such as: bloating, excess gas, diarrhea, or constipation.
Aptamil is a milk-based formula. It also has three different types of formula (3 main ranges), designed for different baby’s condition like:
- Classic baby milk.
- Specialist milk.
- Profuture range.
Specialist milk range will be more suitable for babies that have a sensitive stomach or suffering from digestive issues and have health conditions or intolerance like (gluten intolerance or allergy). You can find the Specialist milk range in the market under the names:
- Anti-reflux, (from 0-12 months).
- Aptamil comfort, (suitable from birth).
- Lactose-free, (suitable from birth).
- Aptamil pepti 1, (suitable from birth) / Aptamil pepti 2, (from 6-12 months).
Besides that, Aptamil is one of the biggest brands in baby formula.
That you will grant your baby the required nutrition that he needs for healthy growth and development.
For instance, it contains GOS & FOS which are found in breastmilk and can help your baby’s immune system.
Also, Aptamil baby formula is considered very close to breastmilk even in its taste and texture.
Gluten free baby formula reviews
- Many moms are pleased with their experience with Enfamil formula, as it made their babies comfortable and able to sleep at night. One of the moms said that her two daughters suffer from gluten intolerance, and switching to Enfamil helped them a lot to relieve symptoms like vomiting and bloating. She also believed that Enfamil was the best choice for her little ones.
- Another mom also mentioned that they tried a few formulas but it didn’t work with her baby and didn’t relieve his gluten intolerance symptoms. But when she switched to Aptamil, her baby felt better and seemed to be comfortable with it.
- One of the reviews about gluten free baby formula is that the baby had severe reflux and loose stool. But when the mother tried Enfamil Nutramigen, her baby felt better as it’s gluten, soy, and dairy-free.
- Reviews are different about Kirkland used for babies with gluten intolerance and digestion issues. Some moms said that it worked for them and their babies felt better. However, other moms said it has a foamy texture when being mixed. Which makes the baby gassier and doesn’t help with the gluten intolerance symptoms.
- On the other hand, one of the parents said that his daughter couldn’t handle any formula. Although he tried different types with her, like hypoallergenic formulas like (Nutramigen and Alimentum). But his baby couldn’t handle it.
- Another mom said, her son is 11 weeks old having digestion problems and gluten intolerance symptoms appeared on him. She put him on Alimentum liquid formula, but her son didn’t improve. He still has digestion issues, although it is considered a gluten-free formula.
- But overall, most parents agreed that their babies felt better and the gluten intolerance symptoms improved when they used gluten free baby formula.
PurAmino Junior Hypoallergenic Baby Drink, for Severe Food Allergies, Omega-3 DHA, Iron, Immune Support, Powder Can, 14.1 Oz (Pack of 4)
$223.96 in stock
- SUITABLE FOR TUBE FEEDING: Puramino is appropriate for both oral and tube feeding
- WHY PURAMINO: PurAmino is an iron-fortified, hypoallergenic, amino acid-based infant formula for the dietary management of infants with severe cow’s milk protein allergy (CMA)
- SUITABLE FOR MANY DIETARY CONDITIONS: PurAmino is also suitable for other conditions that may require an elemental diet including - Eosinophilic esophagitis, short bowel syndrome, malabsorption, Protein maldigestion
- SOLE NUTRITIONAL SOURCE: PurAmino can be an infant's sole nutrition source through 6 months of age, and be a major supplemental nutrition source up to 2 years old
- EXPERT RECOMMENDED DHA: PurAmino has expert recommended DHA which provides brain-building nutrition
Enfamil Nutramigen Infant Formula, Hypoallergenic and Lactose Free Formula with Enflora LGG, Fast Relief from Severe Crying and Colic, DHA for Brain Support, Ready to Use Bottle, 32 Fl Oz
- ON THE GO: Convenient and ready to use bottles, perfect for late night feedings or on-the-go moms
- HELPS TO EASE COLIC: Delivers clinically proven relief when managing colic due to cow’s milk allergy for a happier, better-rested baby & mom
- FAST RELIEF TODAY: Nutramigen starts to reduce excessive crying* in less than 24 hours
- BRAIN SUPPORT: Nutramigen is a gentle, lactose free baby formula that has important nutrients found in breast milk such as omega-3 DHA, ARA, and choline that provide brain support
- #1 TRUSTED BRAND: Enfamil is the #1 Trusted Brand for Brain-building & Immune Support
Gerber Extensive HA Hypoallergenic Powder Infant Formula with Iron for Cow's Milk Allergy, 14.1 Ounces
$33.99 in stock
- CLINICALLY PROVEN TO BE HYPOALLERGENIC: Extensive HA is designed for babies with cow’s milk protein allergy (CMPA);
- HIGH QUALITY PROTEIN: Contains 100% whey protein broken down into tiny pieces designed to be well-tolerated by most babies with CMPA and ultra-filtered for low residual allergenicity
- SUPPORT FOR TINY TUMMIES: Extensive HA is the only hypoallergenic formula made with probiotic B lactis; a probiotic similar to those found in breast milk to support digestive health
- QUALITY FROM BRAIN TO BELLY: Complete nutrition for baby plus DHA; DHA is recommended by experts for brain and eye development
- HELPS EASE FUSSINESS AND GAS: This lactose-free sensitive baby formula helps ease tummy troubles associated with lactose intolerance
Gerber Good Start Plant Based Protein & Lactose Free Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula, Stage 1, 20 Ounces
- LACTOSE FREE NUTRITION: Modeled after the complete nutrition & gentleness of breastmilk, this Plant Based Protein & Lactose Free formula is designed for babies who need non dairy milk solutions
- LACTOSE FREE FORMULA: This lactose free formula provides plant based protein along with Calcium & Vitamin D for strong bones & teeth & DHA for brain & eye development
- GIVE YOUR BABY A GOOD START: Your baby’s nutritional needs evolve over time; That's why we created the Gerber Good Start line; Made to comfort your baby's tummy & available in a range of products
- WHOLESOME OPTIONS: Introduce your infant to complimentary staged products like single grain Cereals & 1st Foods fruit & veggie purees with Gerber infant formulas, probiotic supplements & more
- NUTRITION FOR GROWING: Like your baby, we're always growing & learning. More than ever we're committed to being your partner in parenthood with quality ingredients, nutritious food & expert guidance.
Else Plant-Based Complete Nutrition Formula for Toddlers, 22 Oz., Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Syrup Free, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, Natural Ingredients, Vitamins and Minerals for 12 mo.+, Vegan, Organic
- Finally. Clean, plant-based baby & toddler nutrition you can feel good about.
- Clean Nutrition. Clean Conscience. No compromises: Made with real, whole foods (92% whole plants), it meets the highest standard for nutrition and your standard for a clean label.
- Ingredients, vitamins & minerals to support your child’s growth and development. Endorsed by leading pediatricians and nutritionists.
- Also ideal for plant-based lifestyles and for those avoiding dairy or soy: Else Plant-Based Complete Nutrition for Toddlers offers complete nutrition for 12+ months, providing a real alternative for toddlers with lactose intolerance, sensitivities and other dietary restrictions, a plant-based lifestyle or a preference for avoiding dairy or soy
- Made by clean process: we use the cleanest production process we cab use. It’s a chemical-free, whole foods, minimally processed ingredients approach.
Earth's Best Organic Toddler Milk Drink Powder, Natural Vanilla, 21 oz
- One 21 Oz. container of Earth's Best Organic Toddler Milk Drink Powder, Natural Vanilla
- Made with DHA omega-3 fatty acids, prebiotics, and organic milk from grass and grain-fed cows
- For kids 1 year and older
- Recipe crafted with USDA-Certified Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Nourishes your little one without any artificial colors or flavors
Kirkland Signature OPTIFIBER, 26.8 oz
$21.24 in stock
- Natural Fiber Supplement; no flavor; no sugar; no lactose; no artificial coloring
- Completely Dissolves in Water
- Non-Thickening, no Grit
- 190 Servings
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations, when provided.
If your baby has been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, and he is experiencing symptoms like loose stools with a strong order, frequent vomiting, and excessive gas. And you wonder if there is gluten free baby formula that could make your baby feel better.
Well, most baby formulas are gluten free. It’s always better to see a pediatrician and discuss the symptoms of your child with him.
So you can figure out what is best for your baby.
However, it’s always recommended to use special formulas designed for babies with health conditions or digestion issues like: (Nutramigen) in Enfamil brand, or Specialist milk range in Aptamil brand which include (Aptamil Anti-reflux – Aptamil Comfort).
If your baby doesn’t feel comfortable with his baby formula, make only one change. If your baby didn’t improve and still has a digestion problem, you should seek your doctor to advise you what is best for your baby.
- Gluten-Free Baby Formula – Does Baby Formula Contain Gluten? – MyOrganicFormula.com
- Can changing baby formula prevent celiac disease in babies?
- Feeding your baby
- Hypoallergenic Baby Formulas
- Danone investigating Aptamil baby milk formula complaints
- Aptamil vs Enfamil Formula : Which Is Better?