To avoid ending up delivering alone or in the car on the way to the hospital, you better be well aware of the early signs of labor.
After more than 5 hours of labour contractions, Lauren delivered her child home alone, while her husband was trying to reach for help. “As a first-time mom, I didn’t understand at the time that my water broke in the bathtub and my body was naturally pushing” – Lauren Neerman.
Early Signs of Labor Approaching
When Does Labor Start? Typically, labor occurs between the 37th and 42nd weeks. In this video, you will learn the common - Signs of labor at 37 weeks, - And ...
When Does Labor Start?
Typically, labor occurs between the 37th and 42nd weeks, whereas anytime before the 37th (some doctors even say 38th) week is considered preterm labor. You may also go through induced labor (starting labor artificially), which is usually 12 days after your predicted expected date of delivery, whether you passed the 42 weeks or not. It was observed that it mostly starts at night, too. Doctors say it is melatonin’s effect!
Early Signs of Labour Approaching
To avoid ending up delivering alone or in the car on the way to the hospital, you better be well aware of the early signs of labour.
- Signs of labour at 37 weeks
- Signs labor is 24-48 hours away
- labor pains symptoms when to go to hospital
37 weeks is approximately 8 months and a half in pregnancy, which makes you an expert! CONGRATS! Now, what about the symptoms of labour pain in the 9th month? What about the early signs of labour approaching?
Should I worry if that is not the case?
No, madam, it is said that mothers expecting baby boys may eat more than those expecting baby girls, which may restrain the baby’s gymnastics a bit, so he may just roll and stretch luxuriously instead!
Also called false labour pain, Braxton Hicks are considered one of the non-painful early signs of labour approaching! Those are some irregular uterine contractions, which feel like mild period cramps or tightening of the uterus. The good news is that you can get rid of them by lying down or drinking some water!
This is one of the early signs of labour approaching that you may have been experiencing already for some time, but now you will notice it is getting harsher and more frequent.
Know why? The baby is moving in there and your body is trying to accommodate it, so your muscles and joints are “adjusting”.
Your uterus and cervix are basically 2 parts of one balloon-like structure. Whenyour uterus contracts, your cervix dilates a little. It also softens and thins out more and more with time.
With the contractions and dilatations, you may see some pink, brown, red spots in your underwear. They may be due to the tiny blood vessels rupturing with all the pressure, but if they are more than what feels normal, contact your obstetrician, please.
The mucus plug was there closing your cervix to protect your dear baby from infections. With the cervical dilatations, the plug is likely to fall. Don’t worry about your baby though, he is coming out soon to fight infections himself!
However, this is among the highly variable symptoms before labour begins, may be 1-2 weeks to 1 day before labour.
Tip: It looks like uncooked egg white.
This is one of the early signs of labour approaching that are a gut-feeling (pun intended! ;). Your baby is getting even more eager to meet you, so he descended in the birth canal.
This decreases the pressure on your diaphragm, so you may notice you can breathe more easily, and that the heartburn is kind of relieved, too. (If you had it previously)
Yet, it increases the pressure in your pelvis. What does that mean, almost-mama?!
Remember the first trimester? Yup, it’s the same, maybe even more, due to the increased pressure on your bladder.
But now, the mother may also experience diarrhea as the pressure is high on the rectum, too. And your body is making room for the soon arriving baby!
Pay attention, among the common signs of labour approaching first mom is called “Nesting effect”.
It is called nesting because, like birds, she feels like she needs to prepare a “nest” for our precious guest. Mothers from different species experience similar early signs of labour approaching! You feel a burst of energy that you need to arrange everything. Suddenly the baby’s room, clothes and even the bathrooms seem like they are not enough to welcome the new family member. Or, it could be fatigue that is significantly more than what you felt before.
I know, dear soo-to-be-mother, The early signs of labour approaching are really tricky!
You may peacefully sleep for sufficient hours, or can not sleep properly. Anyways, you will notice a change in your sleep patterns.
You may experience some sudden shoots of pain. Sometimes it is due to tightening in the vagina itself, other times it may be due to cervical contractions.
Among the good first signs of labor approaching is that you will stop gaining weight, or in some cases, lose weight. Don’t worry about your baby’s development, it is mostly fluid weight.
Signs Labor is 24-48 Hours Away
24-48 hours prior to labor, most of the aforementioned symptoms will intensify and become more obvious or more annoying to alarm you that your big day is coming!
For example, the cervix further dilates, the back pains get harsher, and so on. Listen to your body’s early signs of labour approaching, they are an alarm!
However, there are some exceptions:
Not a british exaggeration, but you may see some pink watery vaginal discharge. Maybe you have experienced thick brown or red vaginal discharge in the previous weeks, but this one is probably lighter in colour and consistency.
You may be nervous, but the baby may relax as you get closer to labour. Surprisingly, you both are experiencing very different early signs of labour approaching! Haha. Not only because he is finally meeting his mother, but also he doesn’t really have much space to move. He is getting bigger! Labor pains symptoms when to go to hospital. If any of the following early signs of labour approaching occurred, you must reach the hospital as soon as possible. Those are basically signs that labor has started!
However, it is not as dramatic as movies portray it, even some mothers may miss it especially if it is their first time with all the pressure and pain. One of the disappointing early signs of labour approaching thanks to the movies’ high expectations!
Among the must-to-know early signs of labour approaching is the 4-1-1 rule. Some say 3-1-1, others say 5-1-1. Anyways, this is when contractions hit every 4 minutes, each lasting for a whole minute and this state continues for a whole hour.
If your cervix reaches 10 cm wide, you are already in stage 1 of labour.
Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream by Earth Mama | Lanolin-free, Safe for Nursing & Dry Skin, Non-GMO Project Verified, 2-Fluid Ounce (Packaging May Vary)
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Earth Mama’s Organic Nipple Butter is USDA Certified Organic, made with herbs and oils that are traditionally used to soothe and moisturize hard-working nipples.
- NO petroleum, NO preservatives, and NO lanolin: Our calendula cream is safe for mama and baby so no need to wash or wipe it off before nursing your newborn child to make feeding a breeze.
- TRUSTED BY HOSPITALS: Our nipple butter has been chosen by hospital NICUs, medical professionals, and nurses around the country. We're on a mission to free mothers from the fear of breastfeeding during the maternity journey.
- DERMATOLOGIST AND CLINICALLY TESTED FOR IRRITATION. Not only does our nipple butter help soothe nipples before and after breastfeeding or pumping, it can also be used on other parts of the body. Use on lips, cuticles, or dry skin for intense moisture and relief.
- SHOW MOMS SOME LOVE: Give nipple butter as a gift to expecting mothers, add it to your baby registry, and pack it in your bag of essentials for the hospital
Kindred Bravely Labor and Delivery Inspirational Fun Non Skid Push Socks for Maternity -"Keep Calm & Push On"
- Who thought labor and delivery could be this much fun? Just what you need to help make pregnancy and delivery a little lighter.
- These non skid socks are ideal for walking the halls, pacing the room and having a baby! The words on the bottom are grippy and will make your nurses, midwife or OB smile or laugh.
- The perfect baby shower gift or push present for the pregnant mom to be. Add them to any “Labor Bag” for a bit of inspiration. Available in several fun and inspirational themes.
- Soft, warm, comfortable and cute. A sweet alternative to the hospital sock slippers, wear them after delivery at home too and enjoy added traction on bare flooring.
Peri Bottle for Postpartum Care. Post Partum Essentials Extra Large 15 oz Portable Perineal Bottle with Angled Spout - for Pain Treatment After Childbirth - Labor and Delivery Hospital Bag
$8.99 in stock
- The Perfect Spritz for Your Ladybits! Get post partum perineal care with our large portable peri bottle with perfectly angled retractable spout giving you targeted care during those uncomfortable days and weeks after childbirth. Contains 1 Peri Bottle and 1 Water Resistant Travel Bag.
- Easy to Use Even if Sleep Deprived! Simply lock the spout firmly into place, fill with warm water (and a little witch hazel if desired), then invert, point, squeeze and spray where needed. The long angled spout means no need for awkward bending to get into the correct position. The Ninja Mama Peri Bottle will only spray when you are ready
- No Need for Refilling Mid Bathroom Break! With a large capacity the Ninja Mama Peri Bottle ensures you won't have to refill mid bathroom break.
- Portable and Discreet! With its retractable, spout (bringing the size down for traveling under 8 inches in height) and pretty water-resistant bag, you can take your Ninja Mama Peri Bottle with you anywhere, making for convenient and effective post partum relief when and where you need it. Just empty the contents, toss it into your diaper bag and you’re good to go!
- A Necessity for Your Labor Hospital Bag! Beautifully packaged and designed by us as experienced moms, a Ninja Mama Peri Bottle is the perfect addition to your hospital bag. This of course means it’s the ideal baby shower gift for a mom to be . Team with our Ninja Mama Sitz Bath Soak and Perineal Ice Packs, place in a basket of gifts, on a diaper cake or give as a gift on its own
MD Labor Law Poster, 2021 Edition - State, Federal and OSHA Compliant Laminated Poster (Maryland, English)
- 100% COMPLIANT IN MD: With all current 2023 updates, rest assured your business is following both state and federal OSHA requirements. With our industry-leading diligence, in the past two decades we have NEVER incurred a labor law poster violation.
- ALL YOU NEED: Our comprehensive 25 x 39 inch poster includes all required 2023 State, Federal & OSHA notices. Printed in color and laminated with UV protectant to avoid fading. Perfect for offices, job site trailers, restaurants, factories and more.
- REQUIRED BY LAW: All US businesses must display a current labor law poster in an area visible to all workers. Failure to comply with posting regulations can result in unwanted fines, lawsuits, and penalties. Eliminate that risk and order today.
- ENGLISH & SPANISH: The current standard doesn't require the notice to be posted in a foreign language (e.g. in Spanish), but OSHA does encourage employers with Spanish-speaking workers to post an additional notice in Spanish. Buy our Bundle and save.
- MADE IN THE USA: A better option than digital or printable signage, Labor Law Center prints professional-grade large posters in California and ship quickly to your door. We stand by the quality of our products with a 30-day 100% money back guarantee.
The Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to Prevent and Treat Dystocia
14 used from $30.52
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||416|
Made For This: Birthing Essentials From a Former Labor and Delivery Nurse and Mother of Two
3 used from $3.41
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||71|
Labor and Delivery Nursing
30 used from $37.02
- Used Book in Good Condition
Labor and Delivery Nursing, Second Edition: A Guide to Evidence-Based Practice
$70.45 in stock
5 used from $63.70
|Number Of Pages||356|
Labor Like a Goddess: A Fearless Guide to Preparing for the 7 Gates of Transformation in Pregnancy and Birth
6 used from $21.99
|Number Of Pages||290|
Maternal-Neonatal Nursing Made Incredibly Easy (Incredibly Easy! Series)
14 used from $26.84
|Number Of Pages||612|
Mosby’s® Pocket Guide to Fetal Monitoring: A Multidisciplinary Approach (Nursing Pocket Guides)
$48.77 in stock
11 used from $46.03
|Number Of Pages||368|
Holy Labor: How Childbirth Shapes a Woman's Soul
5 used from $10.99
|Number Of Pages||208|
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth "Updated With New Material"
$15.99 in stock
198 used from $2.57
- Random House
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide
$13.29 in stock
33 used from $3.71
|Number Of Pages||512|
The Birth Partner 5th Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Partners, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions
$13.59 in stock
85 used from $4.23
|Part Number||100 2-c illustrations|
|Number Of Pages||440|
Cut Your Labor in Half: 19 Secrets to a Faster and Easier Birth
$3.05 in stock
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||243|
Fast Facts for the L&D Nurse: Labor and Delivery Orientation in a Nutshell
$15.00 in stock
9 used from $15.44
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||186|
The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, and Healthier Birth (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
$16.99 in stock
77 used from $1.71
|Number Of Pages||272|
Dear almost-official-mama, if you are experiencing weight, sleep patterns, vaginal discharge, contraction rhythms changes or changes in the fetal activity, contact your obstetrician. You may need an appointment to check up on you and your baby and make any new decisions, like give birth for example!
Please pay close attention to the early signs of labour approaching, to ensure the safest and most comfortable delivery for you and your new family member!