Amniocentesis what causes it?
Amniocentesis, During your pregnancy, you may be offered an amniocentesis test to see if your baby has a genetic or chromosomal issue such as Down’s syndrome, Edwards’ syndrome, or Patau’s syndrome. It entails taking a small sample of cells from the amniotic fluid, which surrounds the unborn infant in the womb, and testing them. Keep reading to know more about amniocentesis.
Not all pregnant women are offered amniocentesis.
It’s only recommended if your baby has a higher risk of inheriting a genetic disease.
This could be due to the following reasons:
Your baby may be born with a disorder such as Down’s syndrome,
Edwards’ syndrome, or Patau’s syndrome, according to a prenatal screening test.
You have a family history of a genetic disorder, such as sickle cell disease, thalassemia, cystic fibrosis,
Or muscular dystrophy, or you have had a previous pregnancy that was affected by a genetic illness.
It’s crucial to know that if amniocentesis is offered, you don’t have to have it.
It’s entirely up to you whether or not you want it.
To assist you in making a decision, a midwife or doctor will explain what the test entails and explain the potential benefits and hazards.
You can download a guide about this case from amazon
How is amniocentesis done?
Amniocentesis is typically performed between the 15th and 20th weeks of pregnancy, however it can be done at any time.
It can be done sooner, but this increases the risk of amniocentesis problems and is usually avoided.
A long, thin needle is introduced into your abdominal wall during the test, guided by an ultrasound image.
A small sample of amniotic fluid is taken for analysis after the needle is inserted into the amniotic sac that surrounds the fetus.
The exam itself takes about 10 minutes, however the consultation as a whole can take up to 30 minutes.
It is more commonly described as unpleasant than painful.
When the needle is removed, some women report feeling pressure or a sensation akin to period pain.
Obtaining your outcomes
Within three working days, you should have the first results of the test,
Which will tell you whether you have Down’s syndrome, Edwards’ syndrome, or Patau’s syndrome.
When testing for rarer conditions, the findings can take three weeks or longer to come back.
If your test reveals that your baby has a genetic or chromosomal problem, you will be thoroughly informed about the ramifications.
Most of the disorders discovered by amniocentesis have no solution, so you’ll have to weigh your alternatives carefully.
You have the option of continuing your pregnancy while obtaining knowledge about the disease so that you are completely prepared.
Related: Early pregnancy discharge in detail
What are the dangers of an amniocentesis procedure?
The risks and potential consequences will be discussed with you before you decide to have amniocentesis.
Miscarriage, defined as the loss of a pregnancy in the first 23 weeks, is one of the most serious hazards linked with amniocentesis.
There are also some other dangers, such as infection or the need to repeat the process since the original sample could not be adequately tested.
All in all, remember that, amniocentesis has a higher chance of creating difficulties if performed before the 15th week of pregnancy, which is why the test is only performed after this period.
Testing Women, Testing the Fetus: The Social Impact of Amniocentesis in America (The Anthropology of Everyday Life)
45 used from $1.98
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||376|
Obst & Gynae OSCEs
- Samll Size
- Zoom In , Out
- Many Sections
EltaMD UV Sheer SPF 50+ Face and Body Sunscreen Lotion, Water Resistant Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide, Broad Spectrum Mineral-Based Sun Protection, Non-Greasy, Lightweight, Oil Free Sunscreen, 1.7 oz Tube
- EltaMD UV Sheer SPF 50+ Face and Body Sunscreen is a hydrating, non greasy sunscreen that immediately absorbs into your skin and helps calm heated or reddened skin
- This water resistant sunscreen is water resistant up to 80 minutes and won’t sting when you sweat or rinse off in the water
- Ideal for daily use, this face sunscreen is a Dermatologist recommended dye free, fragrance free, oil free, paraben free, alcohol free, and vegan sunscreen
- EltaMD UV Sheer sunscreen with Zinc Oxide is a TSA approved travel size sunscreen that quickly absorbs into your skin and protects your skin from free radicals and damaging UVA and UVB rays thanks to its broad spectrum sunscreen formula
- This Zinc Oxide sunscreen lotion contains 15.0% Zinc Oxide and other key antioxidants to promote healthy skin while blocking harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun
The Best Baby Names for Girls: The Ultimate Resource for Finding the Perfect Girl Name
|Number Of Pages||213|
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Body & Face Sunscreen SPF 60, Oil Free Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin, Sport Sunscreen Lotion, Sun Protection & Sun Skin Care, Oxybenzone Free
- Multi-award winning sunscreen with advanced protection in a fast-absorbing, velvety texture that leaves skin hydrated and smooth. Broad Spectrum SPF 60
- Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Formulated with Cell-Ox Shield technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants. Formulated and rigorously tested for skin tolerance, even on sensitive skin
- Face and body sunscreen in a non-greasy, fast-absorbing texture leaves skin hydrated and smooth with a velvety texture
- Octinoxate- & Oxybenzone-free sunscreen provides broad spectrum SPF 60 protection
The Best Baby Names for Boys: The Ultimate Resource for Finding the Perfect Boy Name
|Number Of Pages||211|
23andMe Health + Ancestry Service: Personal Genetic DNA Test Including Health Predispositions, Carrier Status, Wellness, and Trait Reports (Before You Buy See Important Test Info Below)
- IMPORTANT: There is a lot to consider with genetic testing. Please review important information about Carrier Status* and Genetic Health Risk* reports. Before purchasing, review important information at 23andme. com/test-info.
- WHAT YOU GET: At-home DNA test kit. Access to Health + Ancestry Service that can help give you a more complete picture of your health with insights from your genetic data. Personalized genetic insights and tools that can help make it easier for you to take action on your health. Includes FDA-authorized reports and full access to our Ancestry + Traits Service.
- HEALTH FEATURES: Our personalized health reports use science-backed data to show how your DNA can affect your likelihood of developing certain health conditions.* Wellness reports show how your DNA relates to your lifestyle. Carrier Status* reports can show if you're a carrier for genetic variants linked to certain inherited health conditions. Use insights from these genetic reports to help you make informed decisions to fuel your health journey.
- SIMPLE & EASY: Genetic testing in 3 simple steps. No blood, no needles. Our home-based saliva collection kit is all you need. We have made the process as simple as possible. Spit in the provided tube, register your kit using the barcode, and return the saliva sample back to our lab in the pre-paid package. Get results back in 5-6 weeks. Your Health + Ancestry kit already includes access to the basic 23andMe Ancestry + Traits Service, and is upgradeable to our premium 23andMe+ Membership.
- PRIVATE AND PROTECTED: Know that you are in control of your DNA. Discovery should never come at the expense of privacy. Your data is encrypted, protected, and under your control. You decide what you want to learn and what you want to share. Subject to 23andMe’s Terms of Service at 23andme. com/tos and Privacy Statement at 23andme. com/about/privacy.
Simple Guide to Having a Baby
$14.11 in stock
35 used from $2.87
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||208|