Weight gain during pregnancy is an obsession for many women, especially those who are planning to become pregnant for the first time, or even for women who have experienced pregnancy before and are about to have a new pregnancy, Although gaining more weight during pregnancy is a real concern for most women, it is a must and necessary for the health of the mother and fetus, as the child’s nutrition begins from the first days in the mother’s womb, here is weight gain during pregnancy.
Weight gain during pregnancy
Therefore, a woman must start preparing her body before, during and after pregnancy.
In order to have a healthy child and to have the ability to give him breastfeeding while maintaining her health.
One of the common and wrong beliefs during pregnancy is that the pregnant woman should eat for two people.
But the fetus’s needs for food are less than what an adult person needs.
Therefore, it is recommended to increase the amount of food during pregnancy.
By about 300 calories only than usual, and in the case of carrying twins.
It is recommended to eat an average of 600 additional calories per day.
Related: Pregnancy weekly calculator
What is the normal rate?
First of all, to know the normal amount of weight gain for a pregnant woman.
It must be noted that it varies according to the woman’s weight and BMI before pregnancy.
The body mass index is calculated using the following equation:
BMI = weight (kg)/height (square metres).
The amount of weight gain that is appropriate for a pregnant woman varies according to the body mass index, as follows:
- For women with low pre-pregnancy weight, i.e. BMI = less than 18.5, the amount of weight gain during pregnancy is about 13 to 18 kg.
- For women of normal weight before pregnancy, i.e. BMI = 18.5-24.9, the weight gain during pregnancy is 11 to 16 kg.
- For women who are overweight before pregnancy and have a BMI = 25-29.9, the expected increase is about 7 to 11 kg.
- For women who are obese and BMI = greater than 30, it is recommended to gain 5-9 kg of weight.
Normal weight gain during pregnancy in kg
For women who are pregnant with twins, it is recommended to gain weight as follows during pregnancy:
- For women of normal weight before pregnancy and BMI = 18.5-24.9.
- And For women with overweight pre-pregnancy and BMI = 25-29.9, the expected increase during pregnancy is 14-23 kg.
- For women who are obese and have a BMI of more than 30, it is recommended to gain 11-19 kg.
Related: Pregnancy week by week calculator
By This article we reviewed the normal rate of weight gain during pregnancy, and some tips for maintaining an appropriate weight during pregnancy.