Feeding a newborn is something that every parent focuses on quite profoundly. However, no one would like to serve their babies low-quality food and make them suffer.
Well, the choice of food varies from newborn to newborn, and as a parent, it is your responsibility to choose the best product.
How Long Does it Take for a Baby to Adjust to a Formula Change?
Feeding a newborn is something that every parent focuses on quite profoundly. However, no one would like to serve their babies low-quality food and make ...
Are you asking yourself or doctors questions on how long does it take for a baby to adjust to formula change? If not, then no worries, we are here to guide you briefly on the same.
Here we will take a deeper look at the changes and how babies adapt to formula change with time.
Adapting to a new baby to adjust to formula change isn’t an overnight challenge it takes a lot of effort and practice by both parents and infants. Read to know more about babies adjusting to a formula change.
How Long Will It Take The Baby To Adjust To A Changed Formula
You must be aware that it is challenging to accurately determine the amount of time that it will take your baby to adjust to a new formula.
While there is no particular answer to give, you will need to anticipate the adjustment period for roughly one to two weeks.
If you are switching baby formula between two similar baby formulas, such as powdered vs. liquid of the same brand, there will be no adjustment period.
However, if you are switching formula because of an allergy, it might take longer for your baby to completely adjust to the new ingredients.
Also, the adjustment period depends upon the reason for switching baby formulas. The experts usually suggest waiting for a minimum of 2 weeks in between changes. This is so that the stomach of your little one does not go through much turmoil.
Understand that the need to change the formula your baby uses is quite common. Note that new babies, new moms, and fresh ingredients added to the formula may work together, and other times they will not.
In cases like this, you can go back to the drawing board and find the best way forward. The good news is that babies can change the formula from time to time with little to no problems.
Are you looking to change formula due to health concerns or want to switch from non-organic to organic? If yes, you have nothing to be worried about as you can switch.
However, if you need answers to how long it will take for your baby to adjust to formula change, we have provided you with solutions within the article.
What Are The Reasons To Change Formula?
For those who may be using a particular formula consistently, whether entirely or as a supplement to your breast milk, you may be wondering why people change formulas.
Understand that there are diverse reasons why people do this. How do you know if you need to change your baby’s formula is a question people always ask. Well, the reasons surrounding this question are:
The baby relates to the formula in a negative way
When it comes to babies, it is not easy to know what exactly works and does not work for them. In most cases, it is all about trials and errors. There are new moms out there who discover that the baby accepts a specific formula brand, and later, they notice a reaction.
Note that allergic reactions may be a popular sign that your baby responds negatively to the formula. Nevertheless, you should talk to your health care provider to be sure.
More so, moms may discover that their baby begins to react outwardly negatively towards a specific formula. The baby may cry, spit up or get gassy due to this formula.
You must keep a close watch on your baby and use a baby journal to record anything you notice. Even though it may be symptoms of a reaction to the particular baby formula, it is best to confirm from a professional.
Signs and issues with your baby must be taken seriously and quickly acted upon.
The baby demands more at every feeding
The first thing to note is that this is a price concern. Every new mom must bear in mind that baby formula is pricey if you need the best formula for your little one.
As the baby grows to the six-month mark, he or she will progressively need some more formula until they begin eating solid foods and liquid foods. Until this point, you may be overwhelmed with the price of the formula.
Some moms usually find a suitable replacement that has similar nutritional content but generally cheaper.
You may discover a more nutritious formula
People change baby formula because another formula may be more nutritious than the one they already use. While time changes, production becomes better, and some moms notice that a new formula has more nutrients.
Sometimes, they have to meet with their pediatrician, who will give the directive to find the new formula brand with more nutrients, vitamins, or minerals.
An example is that as a baby gets older, the doctor may recommend going for a formula with more iron.
No matter your reason, you must have in mind that it is okay to switch formulas, and it is a regular part of the process.
However, understand that no two infant formulas are made to be the same. Nevertheless, you may need to make sure that you do not experience similar issues after you switch.
While you may discover a better brand, there are parents who are switching formula within same brand.
Is It Good To Mix Formulas?
Understand that mixing formulas can be very tricky when testing to see if the new formula will work well with your baby’s body.
When the formulas are mixed, it will likely be difficult to tell if the old formula is acting funny or if you are to place the blame on the new formula. Additionally, some of these formulas do not mix well when combined.
Nevertheless, some sources have claimed that it may be okay to mix two formulas if you are only switching based on preference. An example is changing from non-organic to an organic one.
You can add a scoop of one with a spoon of the other until your baby successfully adjusts to the new formula. Also, you can ask your Paediatrician to be sure of when to change baby formula.
How Long Before You Will See A Real Change?
Since you want to know how long it will take your baby to adjust to formula change, the answer is that it can take a week or up to ten days.
When learning how to switch formula, you must note that it will take the new formula up to ten days to successfully settle in the digestive system of your baby. You may get a swift response from the baby in terms of preference or flavor.
When bothered about how long does it take for a baby to adjust to a new formula, bear in mind that it will take some weeks to see actual improvement or see a negative change.
Sometimes you may not even notice the change, and you do not need to be scared. If you are switching your baby to an organic formula, you may not see the changes physically or immediately.
But within you will know that this change was for the best. If you are switching formulas because the last one was causing health issues, the improvement with the new formula will be immediate.
This is very true when your baby has a milk allergy to cows’ milk, and you are switching to a soy formula or even a hypoallergenic formula.
You can talk to your doctor if you do not see any improvement after using a new formula to take care of the allergic reactions. You can also ask the doctor if you are worried about the side effects of switching formula.
You should consider when switching formulas with your baby that it is not uncommon for your baby to have a strange digestive reaction to things.
Note that their bodies are quite sensitive, so a formula that can a tally settle with their system may cause some minor issues.
Understand that this is quite normal if you stick with it for roughly eight to ten days. Do not hesitate to contact your doctor for any problem.
More so, if you should notice any reaction upon switching, you may have to cease making use of the new formula and switch to the old formula until you have a better solution.
This means that you are not to throw all your old formulas when you get a new one. There are instances wherein you will need to switch back to the formula your baby knows for a while.
What to Expect When Changing Formula?
Babies are typically not able to inform us about their preferences or their feelings with words. Therefore, parents need to look for the signs they can identify. Your baby might accept a new formula without facing any trouble and adjust quite easily.
If your baby doesn’t accept a new formula bottle, do not think that all hope is lost. This will make your little one more receptive to trying out the items that seem to be new.
Also, you can even consider mixing the new formula in a small amount to your present formula so that the baby barely notices any change.
Before going around asking questions that pertains to “can switching formula hurt my baby?”, You can slowly start to feed them with more and more amounts of the new formula.
Some of the adverse effects of diet change might be caused as your baby’s body will slowly adopt the new nutrients and ingredients.
However, it is not necessary to have something about which you need to worry about. It is necessary to keep records of how your baby reacts after eating the new formula.
If you cannot notice any improvement in your baby within 3 to 5 days, it would be best to contact your pediatrician.
Steps to Follow While Switching Baby to Adjust to Formula Change
Switching to a new formula can be easy for you if you know all the proper steps. However, most people have no idea on how to switch baby formula.
However, knowing how long it takes for a baby to adjust to the formula would be a plus for you. Let us have an introduction to the steps that you need to follow when wondering how to switch formula for newborn.
Nevertheless, it is advisable to consult a caretaker you trust or a loved one before you switch as you may be bothered about the changing baby formula side effects.
Note that your baby’s health care expert is an expert and may have advised other moms on how they can switch formulas lots of times. So, they can share tips that will help you make the switch a smooth one.
These experts will be capable of giving you direct pointers on the formulas you should switch to. Immediately you have spoken to the baby’s doctor and found a good replacement; you should not expect everything to change overnight.
Understand that babies can be pretty fussy and enjoy their routines; thus, adjusting may take a while. When changing the formula, the steps involved are:
Choose Your Formula
Note that, there are lots of formula types in the market, and you can choose any one of them according to your choice. Now that you know how to change formula, you will need to choose a formula that is ideal.
However, it is better to seek consultation from expert pediatricians to help you out. It would be best if you kept an eye on different things such as ingredients, taste, quantity, and price.
Make use of a gradual process
As you introduce the new formula to the baby, you should see if your baby is picky with bottle feeding. You can try to give him or her a little bit of the new formula during mid-day.
You can feed the new formula to your baby when he or she is historically calmer or happier. It will keep them grounded and feel like their world is not changing.
Note that you can switch the formulas right away if needed, though it depends on your baby and their sensitivity or personality.
Determine Feeding Schedule
You should find or make a feeding schedule for your baby to make them adjust to the new formula.
However, having a plan will help you to know which formula would work best for your baby in every specific condition when you are having a baby to adjust to formula change.
If they are good with the new formula, you can increase the formula amount until it fully replaced the old formula.
Monitor Side Effects
Buying a new formula and making your baby comfortable to eat it is not enough. It would be best if you also considered the side effects of the formula change. Well, some side effects are common, but they disappear with time.
If this does not happen, then you need to have a consultation scheduled with your expert doctor. You are to check your baby’s demeanor and diapers for any changes.
Always Buy Recommended Product
When you are purchasing formula for your newborn, you are to consider diverse things. Nevertheless, buying good quality products is all you need when you have a baby.
The ideal way to buy quality products is by getting recommendations from your doctor or the baby’s pediatrician.
They can identify your newborn’s eating habits and suggest the best products that you can try for your newborn.
Which Baby Formulas Should You Buy?
The market is flooded with the manufacturers of baby formulas. However, you need to have an eye on the best products. Since we must have answered your question on “is it OK to switch formula back and forth?”, it is ideal to know the formulas you can buy
These products will provide you with an idea of how long it takes to adjust to a new formula. Here are some briefs about the products that you can consider purchasing online.
This infant formula is best for providing immune support to infants, and it is made from 2’FL HMO that is even closer to breast milk. It has no artificial growth hormones, and it is the first of its kind of infant formula that you can purchase online.
The exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E in this formula is ideal for babies’ overall growth, brain development, and eye development.
You may refer: Similac vs Enfamil
Bear in mind that the Gerber Good start GentlePro is designed to provide the entire nutrition of breast milk to the infant.
It is also known to provide the ideal nutrition to babies who are up to the twelve months marks.
Gerber’s gentle baby formula is specifically designed to ease digesting comfort proteins, prebiotics, and DHA. These components are mainly consumed for supporting brain and eye development.
It is ideal to fulfill your baby’s nutrition needs over time and support the changes.
This baby formula can be digested quickly and provides complete nutrition to babies of approximately 12 months.
It has a lactose milk-based formulation that makes it easy for you to consider its purchase for your newborn.
It also comes with Lutein for Eyes and Prebiotic Fructooligosaccharides for improving the immunity of your newborn.
So, if you are wondering about switching your baby formula, then this product by Earth’s Best Store would be an excellent deal for you.
Finding the right baby food or formulas for your newborn or toddlers is a challenging task to do.
But it would help if you had a comprehensive guide with you for better help. This article will provide you a better understanding of how a baby to adjust to formula change. We hope this article will turn out to be helpful for you in improving your baby’s immunity.
If you are interested in knowing “How to Choose the Best Baby Formula?” which is suitable for your baby, you can switch to our next article.
You might like:
Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula with Iron, with 2’-FL HMO, for Immune Support, Baby Formula, Powder, (One-Month Supply), 2.25 Pound (Pack of 3)
- BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein, and Vitamin E – nutrients also found in breast milk – helps support baby’s overall growth and brain and eye development
Enfamil NeuroPro Baby Formula Milk Powder Reusable Tub, 20.7 oz -Brain Building Nutrition Inspired by Breast Milk-Omega 3 DHA, Non-GMO, MFGM, Prebiotics, Iron & Immune Support (Package May Vary)
- EXPERT RECOMMENDED DHA: Enfamil NeuroPro Infant has expert recommended brain building DHA
- HuMO6 IMMUNE BLEND: Enfamil NeuroPro Infant has an exclusive HuMO6 immune blend for immune support
- BRAIN-BUILDING NUTRITION: Get brain building nutrition inspired by breast milk from Enfamil
- ONLY BRAND TO HAVE TRIPLE PREBIOTIC IMMUNE BLEND: Enfamil is the only brand to have both expert-recommended DHA & triple prebiotic immune blend
- Enfamil helps in Brain-building & Immune Support
Earth's Best Organic Dairy Infant Powder Formula with Iron, Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA, 35 Ounce
- INFANT NUTRITION: Our closest formula to breast milk, this easy-to-digest organic formula is made with wholesome ingredients and nutrients that support immunity, brain development, and eye development
- EASY TO PREPARE: Simple-to-follow directions on the back of the formula container help you prepare your little one’s baby bottle with the right water-to-formula powder ratio for their feeding needs
- FIRST 12 MONTHS: Support development and nourish your baby from their first day to their first birthday
- EARTH'S BEST: Explore our full line of baby nutrition to find more sensitive baby formulas, gentle formulas, plant-based formulas, and toddler formulas
- 32 OZ FORMULA CONTAINER: Includes one 32 oz container of Earth's Best Organic Dairy Infant Formula
Similac Pro-Sensitive Infant Formula , Non-GMO, with Iron, 2’-FL HMO, for Immune Support, Milk-Based Powder, 2.18 Lb, Pack of 3 (One-Month Supply)
- BRAND FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT: Similac Pro-Sensitive is the first infant formula for sensitive tummies with 2’-FL HMO;(Based on Pediatrician Recommendations and IQVIA ProVoice Survey 12 months ending February 2020; not from human milk)
- VALUE SIZE/SUBSCRIBE and SAVE: 1 Can provides 55% more powder than the 1.41-lb container; 3 cans provide a one-month supply or 189 4-fl-oz bottles; Choose Subscribe and Save for additional savings and convenience
- FOR SENSITIVE TUMMIES: Designed for fussiness and gas due to lactose sensitivity; Not for infants or children with galactosemia
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Similac Pro-Sensitive is the first infant formula with 2’-FL human milk oligosaccharide (Not from human milk)
- TRUSTED: Similac is the infant formula brand chosen by moms and the brand fed in hospitals (total US infant formula all outlets as of 3/31/18, Nielsen data)
Similac Pro-Total Comfort Non-GMO with 2'-FL HMO Infant Formula with Iron, Easy-to-Digest, Gentle Formula, for Immune Support, Baby Formula 36 Oz, Pack of 3
- EASY-TO-DIGEST: Partially hydrolyzed whey protein allows for easy digestion; reduced colicky symptoms such as fussiness and gas within one day§
- GENTLE FORMULA + IMMUNE SUPPORT: Similac Pro-Total Comfort is a gentle formula with 2'-FL HMO, a prebiotic that helps strengthen your baby’s immune system
- SUPPORTS BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Features our exclusive blend of DHA and lutein, ingredients found in breast milk that are important for helping to support baby’s brain and eye development
- NO PALM OLEIN OIL: Has no palm olein oil to support excellent calcium absorption
- PREFERRED BRAND: Similac is the #1 infant formula brand fed in hospitals
Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron, Baby Formula 36 oz, 3 Count
- EASY TO DIGEST: Similac infant formulas are nutritionally complete and inspired by breast milk
- SUPPORTS BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Features our exclusive blend of DHA, lutein, and vitamin E, ingredients found in breast milk that are important for helping support baby’s brain and eye development
- NO PALM OLEIN OIL: Designed to support excellent calcium absorption
- NO ARTIFICIAL GROWTH HORMONES: Similac was the first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormones. It’s also kosher and halal
- PREFERRED BRAND: Similac is the #1 infant formula brand fed in hospitals
Similac NeoSure Infant Formula with Iron, for Babies Born Prematurely, Powder, 22.8 Oz (4 Count)
$141.96 in stock
- PREMATURE INFANT FORMULA BRAND: And the brand fed in the NICU
- EXCELLENT CATCH-UP GROWTH: Supports better gains in weight, length, and head circumference for premature babies when compared to term infant formula
- SUPPORTS BRAIN and EYE DEVELOPMENT: Has our unique blend of DHA, lutein, and vitamin E to support brain and eye development
- HELPS SUPPORT BONE GROWTH: Our formula has calcium and phosphorus for baby’s growing bones
- NO ARTIFICIAL GROWTH HORMONES: The first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormones
Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula with Iron, Powder, 30.8 oz (Pack of 4)
- REDUCES FUSSINESS & GAS: Soy-based formulas have been clinically shown to help reduce common feeding problems such as fussiness & gas
- NUCLEOTIDES: To help support the immune system
- PREBIOTICS: For digestive health
- HELPS SUPPORT BRAIN & EYES: Has DHA and lutein, important ingredients found in breast milk
- NO PALM OLEIN OIL: Designed to support excellent calcium absorption