Winter Skincare for Babies: We all love to kiss and cuddle our little ones. That is because a baby’s skin is set to be three times softer and thinner when compared to normal adult skin. But with all this delicacy, your toddler’s skin can become highly vulnerable to dryness during winter seasons.
Chapped lips, heat rashes, rough red cheeks, and dry skin, in general, are some of the most noticeable factors that your baby’s skin is going through a lot during the peak of winters. Many factors can lead to this dryness in your little one’s skin. A couple of them are irregular bathing or using products that encourage dryness.
In this article
But as responsible parents, we need to carry an ideal winter skincare for babies that will help them shrug off skin irritation quickly. Being the experts, we have shortlisted all the information you need to have under your sleeve to steer clear dryness from your toddler’s skin. So without further ado, let’s get started!
Common Winter Skin Problems in Babies
Excruciating chilly winds can prove to be damaging for your little one’s skin. It may lead to several winter skin problems. Therefore, we have mentioned some of the most common skin conditions along with suitable solutions.
- Diaper Rash: Diaper rashes arise from the use of diapers and the overuse of moisturizing creams. Diaper rash can cause severe burn and itchiness, which can even affect a baby’s sleeping cycle. To overcome this, you can use an anti-diaper rash cream, which is easily accessible.
- Chapped Lips: Chapped lips are quite common in newborn babies. But in winters, this problem can grow exponentially, and it can cause the formation of small cuts on your baby’s lips. To counter this, keep your baby hydrated throughout the day. You can even use a baby lip balm or face cream.
- Eczema: Babies suffering from eczema have a dry skin surface, which occurs due to the skin’s inability to hold moisture. Dermatitis tends to erupt during winter. To deal with it, give your baby a sponge bath with luke water for at least twice a day. It will help the skin to remain hydrated. If this skin condition fails to subside, consult your pediatrician.
- Red Cheeks: When dry skin becomes inflamed due to irritation caused by the friction of clothes and a runny nose, it may further elevate the symptoms of red cheeks. To deal with it, you can use a thick moisturizer or petroleum jelly on your baby’s cheeks and the sides of its nose. This will act as a natural barrier and help treat the redness.
Baby Skincare in Winter: Tips & Tricks for New Parents
Winter can take a toll on anyone’s skin, so don’t worry if you see a few dry patches on your baby’s skin since it is normal. However, the primary motive should be to prevent these patches from forming beforehand. Due to the lack of experience at parenting, we usually end up doing certain things that may boost dryness.
To add some valuable parenting points to your kitty, check out the below-mentioned tips and tricks!
Pick the perfect moisturizer.
Moisturizer is probably your best bet in the fight against skin conditions such as heat rashes and flakiness. It would be best if you stick with a moisturizer that has zero added chemicals and fragrances. These two ingredients are the primary cultivators of dry skin. Try going for a moisturizer which consists of a fair amount of water and natural oils. Apply the moisturizer right after a warm bath. However, you can also increase the application cycle to twice a day.
Short Bathing Sessions
Overbathing is also considered a prime booster of dry skin in babies. In winters, you must reduce your newborn baby’s bathing cycles, and try sponge baths instead. While bathing make sure you clean the diaper area as this part of the body is more prone to infections, especially during winters. You should also try to turn down the temperature of the water until it’s lukewarm or hot.
According to Winter Skincare for Babies experts, your baby does not require additional liquids than breast milk or formula for the initial 4 to 6 months. Focusing more on either of these two will surely help your little one get all the necessary nutrients. However, if your baby is more than a year-old, then you may need to shift your focus towards integrating a water-drinking habit into his eating schedule. A quick pointer here is to give them lukewarm water instead of regular water.
Adjust the Temperature Setting of your House
Low temperatures mixed with chilly winds can seriously damage a baby’s gentle skin. It is one of the prime reasons behind chapped baby skin in winters. To overcome this, you may need to tweak the temperature settings of your house. Also, close any open windows or spaces through which cold air can flow inside your home.
Look for Diaper Rash
Diaper rash is a prevalent skin condition in babies. However, this problem can significantly arise in winters. This is due to reduced bathing cycles and increased moisturizing. All of these culminate in some severe diaper rashes. You can use an anti-diaper rash cream to overcome this.
Baby Skin Care Products to Keep Them Safe During Winter
Just like any adult, babies also need specific skincare products that will keep their skin soft and supple during the cold season. To save you from the hassle of choosing the best products on your own, we have shortlisted top baby products for dry skin that are a must-have for the upcoming winter season.
- Baby Dove Rich Moisture Lotion – 20 fl ozSet Lowest Price Alert×Notify me, when price dropsSet Alert for Product: Baby Dove Rich Moisture Sensitive Skin Hypoallergenic Lotion - 20 fl oz - $0.00Last Amazon price update was: February 28, 2021 2:54 am× Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com (Amazon.in, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc) at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
A good skin moisturizer can help your little one with his battle against dryness. This Baby Dove Lotion is rich with nutrients that nourish your baby’s skin to its core. It’s hypoallergenic as well, so you don’t have to worry about any allergies arising from it. On top of that, this moisturizer has zero added chemicals with a very soothing fragrance. All of these features make it one of the best lotions for baby dry skin.
This butt paste from Boudreaux’s is perfect for combating diaper rashes in winters. It contains 40% zinc oxide, which helps seal out all the unnecessary moisture and keeps the area dry and comfortable. It is free from parabens, preservatives, dyes, or talc. The consistency of this butt paste is also perfect, as it can easily blend into the skin.
As parents, seeing our babies in any distress is the last thing we want to experience. Winter can prove to be a challenging time for our toddlers, causing various skin conditions during this period. That is the reason why winter skincare for babies is so important. In this article, we have mentioned all the things that are required to build a suitable winter skincare for babies. It will surely help your baby get rid of dryness and other skin conditions during winters.
You might also like: